Raz'Tra

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raz'Tra

Raz and Talon will make beautiful babies.

2 posters

The Barren Lands

Halite
    Halite
    Admin

The Barren Lands Empty The Barren Lands

Post  Halite Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Quill was completely speechless for a moment, stuttering and blubbering until he could form a coherent sentence.

"Razelle. You're acting like a child! You know what you did there was wrong."

All of a sudden, Quill's face was completely serious. Raz was going to get herself into serious trouble one day; she had already earned a bad name for them now. He contemplated silently for a few minutes, debating his words carefully.

"I know... that in some cultures, thievery is a way of life that arises out of need. But, with us, there is no need, and it is completely unnecessary."
    Kelenthe
    Kelenthe

The Barren Lands Empty Re: The Barren Lands

Post  Kelenthe Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:17 pm

Although Quill's words were meant kindly, Razelled bristled. Here he was telling her that everything she had left of her kinsmen, every skill for self-preservation that they had taught her was wrong.

The fire roared dully in reply. Flickers of it danced at her fingertips. Fire itself was a very selfish element- it was always hungry, always growing, never satisfied. It, too, took as it wished.

"Perhaps, Quill, you will thank me later when this rune ends up saving our hides."

((It totally will, too. Twisted Evil ))
    Halite
    Halite
    Admin

Post  Halite Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:30 pm

In a flash, Talon dashed between the two, his eyes flaming almost as much as her fingertips. Sure, she could travel with them. Sure, she could be a complete nuisace, and as long as Quill was fine with it, he would just deal. But he wasn't going to let her threaten him, and to Talon, those burning fingertips were as far as it was going to get. With a silent, deadly gaze, he glared at her, his left hand concealed in his cloak conspicuously.

When Talon slid in front of him, Quill knew that the situation was heating up fast, and it would soon be out of control. He had to stop this nonsense before one of them got hurt.

"Hey," he snapped, his voice suddenly harsh and commanding. "Will you two quit it? Razelle's natural habits can be adjusted, but a severed head cannot!" He then focused solely on Raz. "And we will discuss this again later, Missyl. I meant no offense, but please try to refrain from stealing anything else from now on, especially in a place like this!"
    Kelenthe
    Kelenthe

Post  Kelenthe Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:40 pm

Raz's skin was unnaturally hot, burning, burning, burning. She glared back at Talon, Quill's words barely phasing her. She was quickly coming to hate the silent bastard.

Her skin ached with power begging to be released, but she forced it down. An almost tangible hiss came from her fisted white knuckles, like the dousing of flames.

Stupid, fucking foreigner. Azra curse him.

The fire had fallen oddly silent, stung that she had rebuked it, pressed it back. Something heavy settled in her gut, an icey cold feeling, as if all warmth had left her. She shivered and anxiously fiddled with a small ruby earring on her right ear. Raz wasn't used to controlling herself, and the feeling that her self-resitriction always left behind was a terrible one.

Ruikens were not meant for boundries, even those that were self-imposed. They were creatures of impulse, and the cold look in her eyes reflected that. Whatever respect her two companions had gained from her over the passed few weeks was gone in an instant.
    Halite
    Halite
    Admin

Post  Halite Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:22 pm

Under the command of Quill's silent orders, Talon stepped back, if grudgingly. Even he had to admit that the girl had control. He'd faced off with Ruikens before. They usually weren't this... agreeable. If that's what you'd call it.

Quill stood still for a moment, taking in the girl's demeanor. He knew he asked a lot of her, but the times called for this necessity. He spoke quietly, repentantly.
    "Are you okay, little lady? I don't mean to be so cross. But, though I know little as yet about your situation, what I do know is enough to convince me that it would be wise to lay low, not draw attention to ourselves."

He motioned his head and began to move on ahead, finding his way to a main street, then stepping back for her, allowing her room to take the lead.
    Kelenthe
    Kelenthe

Post  Kelenthe Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:37 pm

Raz was on autopilote now, still almost numb at her core. She nodded in reply to Quill, stared blankly for a moment at Talon, and her feet began to carry her in the direction of her homelands.

Her stomach turned unpleasantly as she considered how soft she was going. Before she would have never let anyone "correct" her ways... and now, she was backing down from a fight at the command of a useless displaced man. A small wistful smile slipped over her face for only a moment as she wondered what her brother's would say in response to her little submission. The smile was wiped from her face only moments later as the first pepperings of sand entered her vision and the picture of dead, blank faces entered her mind.

"We're almost there..." Raz's voice was unnaturally soft, her face ashen. The fire was oddly silent, too, aware of the events that had taken place on the sand underfoot.

Perhaps my family's murderer walked this very same path. The very thought sickened her, and she had to pause for a moment or she feared she would wretch.
    Halite
    Halite
    Admin

Post  Halite Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:43 pm

Quill followed her in silence. When she paused, he stopped by her side, taking her arm.

"You don't have to do this now if you don't want to," he murmured. Though he knew she was already set on her path, he felt the need to remind her of her choices anyway, to be sure. After a few minutes, he wandered off to a stall, bartering with the owner. When he returned, he had sleeping mats and other bare essentials.

"Well, then. Let's get this over with, eh?"

Talon watched the exchange through brooding eyes. He refused to offer this chicklet anymore comfort. She'd deal.
    Kelenthe
    Kelenthe

Post  Kelenthe Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:49 pm

Raz stiffened her spine and folded herself down on a matt, her sore eyes sliding shut. The images that flashed beneath her eyelids had her thrashing in her sleep, and not even the crackle of their camp fire could soothe the fitful Ruik. Her left palm ached, the symbol pulsed.

The fire howled in silence, a mournful cry for all it had lost.
    Halite
    Halite
    Admin

Post  Halite Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:11 am

It was still dark out, but someone was shaking Raz, gently trying to awaken her. Quill's voice murmured to her quietly, urgently.

"Raz... Raz wake up missy. It's a dream, it's okay. Breathe..."

His voice was rasping slightly, choking off in concern, in fear. The closer they got to her home, the more fitful her sleep had become. Quill was beginning to genuinely fear for her well being. As of now, he had a weathered hand on each of her shoulders, not only to steady her, but also to keep her from thrashing at him in her subconscious struggles.
    Kelenthe
    Kelenthe

Post  Kelenthe Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:18 pm

With a gasp Raz wrenched herself upright, lurching from sleep.

Her wild eyes slowly focused on her surrounding, and the worried face in front of her, "Quil?"
    Halite
    Halite
    Admin

Post  Halite Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:53 pm

Quill breathed in a sigh of relief. At least she was fully alert now.

"Raz, are you okay? After Talon left to scout ahead you started tossing. You've been yelling and ranting like there's no tomorrow. Is... there's something wrong. Isn't there?"

His words were not questioning, but stating. He knew already that Raz's history was more painful than she wanted to let on. However, he refused to press her into saying something she didn't want to. Instead, he drifted over toward the fire to shift the wood around, boosting the flame patiently.
    Kelenthe
    Kelenthe

Post  Kelenthe Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:20 pm

As Raz watched Quil reawaken the fire a little piece of her defenses fell away. The fire kindle beneath his hands and Raz sighed, fighting back tears as everything rushed back into the front of her mind. Quil almost seemed like the loving father that she had never had.

"I... I left them... I... if I had been there, maybe I could have... I could have...!" Tears began to slip down her cheeks as she watched the flames flicker to life, "Maybe I could have saved them."
    Halite
    Halite
    Admin

Post  Halite Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Witohut a moment's hesitation, Quill dropped the rest of his kindle into the fire and came over to Raz. He was silent, taking her arms, even going so far as to embrace her. He wasn't comforting, he knew that was useless for things like this. Instead, he just helped her cry, knowing naught else to do. As long as she needed him, he could be her family.

Saying nothing, he waited for her to continue.
    Kelenthe
    Kelenthe

Post  Kelenthe Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:39 pm

"Goddess, I just..." Raz bit her lip, violently wiping at her eyes, "I had just been gone a few monthes... I was supposed to visit and when I got there everything... everyone...!"

With a deep shuddering sob Raz pulled herself together, looked Quill in the eyes and whispered raggadly, "They were slaughtered. Every man, woman, and child was slaughtered and I plan to slaughter those who did it."
    Halite
    Halite
    Admin

Post  Halite Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Quill listened intently to her words. Under normal circumstances, he would have told the poor child to accept the deaths and move on. However, this was Raz. She was different. She was too fiery, too free. They couldn't do this to her. Slowly, he nodded his head.

"I will do whatever I can to help you."

At those words, something clicked, something felt right. And he knew that the Shir'riek woman had been telling the truth. He couldn't leave.
    Kelenthe
    Kelenthe

Post  Kelenthe Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:30 pm

((Aaaaw.))

Raz lifted her eyes, a smile painting her face. In those moments she saw Quill as more than a father figure: Quill was a commrade, an ally... Quill was someone that she could trust to gaurd her back and fight by her side.

"Thank you."

When Raz went back to sleep she dreamed of the day that her brothers had beaten up a bully on her behalf. They had hugged her close and bandaged her scrapes, threatened anyone who stood in her way.

The fire warmed them all through the night.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:45 pm